2021 Annual Report of the Federal Select Agent Program
The 2021 Annual Report of the Federal Select Agent Program, released in September 2022, summarizes Federal Select Agent Program (FSAP) data for calendar year 2021. FSAP regulates the possession, use and transfer of biological select agents and toxins so that important work with dangerous and deadly pathogens can be conducted as safely and securely as possible. FSAP is a partnership between HHS’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.
The report, now in its seventh year, continues to provide the American public with insight into the regulatory activities of the program. The content includes a look at the regulatory functions of the program, as well as compliance with the select agent regulations at laboratories across the nation. This year’s report provides insight into key ways the program has adapted to carry out its mission during the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as highlights FSAP’s efforts to engage with the regulated community throughout the year to ensure regulatory compliance.
The annual publication of this report reflects FSAP’s ongoing commitment to transparency.
The report summarizes aggregate program data in areas such as:
- Numbers and types of registered entities, as well as amendments to registrations
- Top registered select agents or toxins
- Security risk assessments performed
- Number of inspections conducted
- Key observations related to inspection findings and compliance with the select agent regulations
- Reported thefts, losses, and releases of select agents or toxins
- Identifications and transfers of select agents or toxins
- Publications and outreach activities
As in previous years, the content of the report underscores that overall, most laboratories registered with the program are compliant with the regulations, and none of the small number of reported incidents during the year resulted in a significant risk to public or agricultural health. With the oversight provided by FSAP, laboratories are able to work with dangerous biological agents and toxins in a safe and secure manner. This essential work leads to important scientific discoveries that can improve detection and prevention of human, animal, and plant diseases, as well as diagnostic and treatment options to address them.
For more information about the Federal Select Agent Program, please visit About Us.
- 2020 Annual Report of the Federal Select Agent Program
- 2019 Annual Report of the Federal Select Agent Program
- 2018 Annual Report of the Federal Select Agent Program
- 2017 Annual Report of the Federal Select Agent Program
- 2016 Annual Report of the Federal Select Agent Program
- 2015 Annual Report of the Federal Select Agent Program